- 1.Application For A Place On General Election Ballot– Applications to be a City Council Candidate in a City of Elgin General Election are filed with the City Secretary’s Office. The first day to file for a place on the ballot is Wednesday, January 17, 2024. The deadline for filing for a place on the ballot will be 5:00 p.m. on Friday, February 16, 2024. Please note, the information provided on the candidate application is public information immediately upon its filing. Please do not provide private email addresses, voter registration VUID number or telephone contact information if you do not wish this information to be open to the public. Please see the instructions included with the Application for Place on the General Election Ballot.https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/forms/pol-sub/2-49f.pdf
- 2.City Charter. See Article III for information on City Elections and Article IV for information on the City Council. See Charter Here.
- 3.Ethics Commission’s Campaign Finance Guide for Candidates and Officeholders Who File With Local Filing Authorities. https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/data/resources/guides/coh_local_guide.pdf
- 4.Appointment of Campaign Treasurer by a Candidate (Form CTA) https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/data/forms/coh/cta.pdf Form CTA-Instruction Guide. https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/forms/coh/CTA_ins.php
- 5.Amended Appointment of a Campaign Treasurer by a Candidate (Form ACTA) https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/data/forms/coh/acta.pdf Form ACTA- Instruction Guide https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/forms/coh/ACTA_ins.php
- 6.Candidate/Officeholder Campaign Finance Report (Form C/OH) https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/data/forms/coh/coh.pdf Form C/OH-Instruction Guide. https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/data/forms/coh/COH_ins22.pdf Please contact the Texas Ethics Commission for information on the deadlines and requirements.
- 7.Title 15 of the Texas Election Code Regulating Political Funds and Campaigns. https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/statutes/title15.php
- 8.Ethics Commission Rules. https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/rules/commission/
- 9.Fair Campaign Practices Act https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/EL/htm/EL.258.htm
- 10.Form CFCP Code of Fair Campaign Practices https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/data/forms/coh/cfcp.pdf
- 11."Political Advertising - What You Need to Know" from the Texas Ethics Commission. https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/data/resources/advertising/Gpol_adv.pdf
- 12.Poll Watcher by Candidate on the Ballot. https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/forms/pol-sub/4-26f.pdf
- 13. Poll Watcher by Declared Write-In Candidate. https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/forms/pol-sub/4-29f.pdf @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Please see these websites for more information:
Secretary of State of Texas at https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/index.shtml
Texas Ethics Commission at https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/
It is the duty of the candidate to become familiar with the laws that apply to campaigns for office. The City Secretary is responsible only for accepting and filing the various applications, affidavits, and statements, and noting the date and time of filing. Any questions regarding campaign finance reporting should be directed to the Texas Ethics Commission at 512-463-5800. The City Secretary should not be expected to judge or comment upon the timeliness or sufficiency of reports filed. Please also note that these documents are public records and are open for inspection by any person. Copies of these forms and documents are available at City Secretary’s Office during regular business hours.
Please feel welcome to contact the City Secretary's Office with any questions that you may have.