Tips to help prevent Water and Wastewater Backups
Fats, Oils, Grease (FOG)/Food Scraps/Coffee Grounds
These items do not mix well with water. They can build up and clog your home drains and wastewater lines.
- Pour liquids/solids, food scraps, coffee grounds into your trash receptacle.
- Wipe out the FOG from utensils/pans/grills cooking surfaces with a paper towel and toss into your trash receptacle.
TIP for Reuse:
- Plants love coffee and coffee grounds
- Roses love milk and red wine
- Start a compost pile
TIP: DO NOT FLUSH ANYTHING OTHER THAN TOILET PAPER.
These are all non-flushable items; Do not flush
- automotive fluid
- bandages, wrappings
- cigarette butts
- coffee grounds
- condoms, contraceptives
- dental floss
- disposable diapers
- dryer sheets
- ear swabs, cotton balls
- excessive fats, oil, grease
- facial tissue, paper towels
- feminine hygiene products
- inorganic materials
- paints, solvents, sealants, thinners
- pet waste, kitty litter
- plastic of any kind
- poisons, hazardous waste
- scrubbing pads
- syringes, needles, sharps
- wipes of any kind, flushable and non-flushable
⇨⇨⇨If it is not toilet paper it does not belong in the toilet
See how you can eliminate FOG in your pipes (PDF).
Para información en Español, presione aquí.