We at the Parks Department are excited to bring new and exciting events just for the seniors in our community!
The Parks & Rec Dept offers regular programming including fitness classes and games at the Elgin Rec Center.
We know that you aren't "seniors" but rather, active older adults, so we hope this programming reflects that!
We look forward to spending time with you!
The Elgin Parks & Recreation Department
Stay in shape at the Elgin Rec Center!
Staying in shape is a challenge, especially in the Texas weather! The Elgin Recreation Center makes fitness easy and FREE Monday - Saturday with our walking programs. During these times you'll be able to utilize the gym exclusively for doing laps in a climate controlled space.
- Wildcat Walkers is Monday through Saturday from 8:00AM - 10:00AM. When you reach 100miles of laps in the gym, you'll win a free shirt!
- Extreme Walking on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:00AM - 10:00AM. Walk over and through obstacles with the assistance of Nordic Poles to build fitness and balance.
Elgin Parks & Recreation offers a number of fitness opportunities geared towards our active older adults included in the $15 Senior Recreation Center Membership:
- Mind, Body, Spirit with Patti on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:00AM to 10:00AM. This class combines a mix of yoga and gentle stretching techniques and will adapt and evolve with patron feedback.
- Chair Yoga with Patti on Mondays from 10:30AM to 11:30AM. Grab a chair and explore different yoga poses through this easily accessible class with Patti!
- Tai Chi for Balance with Boaz on Thursdays from 9:15AM - 10:15AM. This class combines tai chi practices, stretching, balance, and mental focus.
- Slow Yoga Flow with Melodie on Fridays from 9:00AM to 10:00AM. In this class you'll practice balancing, breathing, stretching, and toning exercises. This class offers specific exercises designed to help students nurture their bodies.
- Tai Chi as Martial Arts with Boaz on Saturdays from 10:00AM - 11:30AM. This class teaches tai chi practices based on martial arts movements.
Get to know other seniors!
Socializing and making connections in the community is just as important as staying physically fit as we age. There are multiple ways of making new friends at the Elgin Recreation Center. We invite you to participate in any or all of our free active older adult programs.
Senior Coffee Social Club
Monday - Saturday | 8:00AM - 11:00AM
Monday through Saturday the Elgin Recreation Center, in partnership with Chariot, offer the Senior Coffee Social Club. Grab a free cup of coffee and socialize with other seniors from 8AM-11AM while enjoying the couches and tables in the Elgin Rec Lobby.
New Prime Timer Activities & Clubs
Every Monday from 2:00PM - 4:00PM, the Elgin Recreation Center is hosting different active older adult activities. These activities are FREE and limited supplies will be available for use. Register online to reserve your spot!