The Building Division ensures our buildings are designed and completed to standards that promote the quality, safety, and efficiency in accordance with the City Code.
The City has adopted the 2020 National Electrical Code (NEC) and the 2021 International Codes as follows:
- 2021 International Residential Code for One-and Two-Family Dwellings (IRC) – Appendices AA – AK, AM – AP, and AR – AU.
- 2021 International Plumbing Code (IPC) – Appendices B – E (Appendix B shall use rates of rainfall for San Antonio unless Austin is listed).
- 2021 International Mechanical Code (IMC) – Appendix A.
- 2021 International Fuel-Gas Code (IFGC) – Appendices A – D.
- 2021 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) – Appendices CB - CC, RB - RC.
- 2021 International Existing Buildings Code (IEBC) – Appendices B – C
- 2021 International Building Code (IBC) – Appendices C – F, H - I, & K
- 2021 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code (ISPSC) – No appendices adopted.
- 2021 International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC) – Appendix A
- 2021 International Fire Code (IFC) – Appendices B – N.
ICC Codes can be viewed on the ICC Website.
The City of Elgin currently uses the online permitting software called My Government Online. The software provides the ability to submit and pay for all Building permits and inspections online.
- Track the progress of the plan review process
- Upload construction drawings and plans
- View the required inspection sequence for a project
- Request inspections online all from the convenience of a computer or mobile device.
- Provides real-time inspection results via e-mail, automated telephone calls, and on the online portal.
Account Set Up
Already Have An Account
- If you already have a My Government Online account that you use with another city, there is no need to sign up again
- Select Elgin as the Jurisdiction.
- Download the Owner's Authorization Form
Need An Account
- Set up a free account
- My Government Online User Guide (PDF)
- My Government Online User Guide Spanish (PDF)
See Other Applications tab for Master Sign Plan, Sign Variance, Driveway, Wireless Communication Facilities and Site Development Applications.
- Do I need a building permit?
Building permits are required for any and all new construction or .... For more information, please visit the Planning & Development Page of this website.
- How do I obtain a building permit?
Building permits can be obtained at 1135 Swenson Blvd., Elgin, TX 78621...... For more information, please visit the Planning & Development Page of this website.